When Visiting Our Firm:
Our staff will make an appointment for you. When you arrive at the office one of our staff will take your temperature. Then please scan this QR code with your smart phone to answer our COVID QUESTIONNAIRE. The code is posted at the entrance of the office as well. Please be sure to wear your mask. If you need a mask one will be provided upon request.
Phase 4 in NY: Southern Tier
Our physical office is reopen. Protecting the health and safety of our employees, clients, and community has and will always be our top priority. Your lawyers and staff understand the concern and uncertainty caused by this pandemic. You remain our priority.
- We are available to appear with and for you on matters deemed by the Court System to be essential and non-essential matters that are currently being heard. Please call us for updates as the Courts continue permit additional matters to be heard.
- We have resumed in-office appointments. Masks and social distancing are required. Please observe all signs posted at the entrance and in the office for your protection. Our staff will assist you with instructions and answer your questions prior to your appointment and again on the day of your appointment. If you prefer we will accommodate your appointment telephonically or via videoconferencing.
- If you had a previously scheduled court appearance, your matter may have been rescheduled. Court appearances have been held by Skype for Business or by phone. We will assist you if you do not have access to video conference equipment and provide you with updated scheduling information.
- The court system is functioning in a fashion most consistent with health and safety. We will continue to advise you and provide you with updates as the legal system adapts to these new circumstances.
- Visit https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home for updates from New York State.
- Please visit https://tompkinscountyny.gov/health for more local information.
- Notary Service is now permitted to be done remotely.
- NY Court Updates are here: https://www.nycourts.gov/index.shtml
Update June 17, 2020:
Our office is closed in observance of Juneteenth, Friday, June 19, 2020.
UPDATE May 4, 2020
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
EDDS: UCS Program for Electronic Delivery of Documents
In response to the COVID-19 public health emergency and the expansion of “virtual” court operations, the Unified Court System has initiated a new program to transmit digitized documents (in pdf format) to UCS courts, County Clerks, and other court-related offices around the State. The Electronic Document Delivery System (“EDDS”) allows users, in a single transaction, to (1) enter basic information about a matter on a UCS webpage portal page; (2) upload one or more pdf documents; and (3) send those documents electronically to a court or clerk selected by the user. Upon receipt of the document(s) by the court, the sender will receive an email notification, together with a unique code that identifies the delivery. More detailed instructions for sending or filing documents through EDDS may be found on the EDDS FAQ page.
Click Here to Access the Electronic Delivery of Documents Website
No. 202.17: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency
No. 202.16: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency
April 9, 2020 | 5:45 PM EDT
No. 202.15: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification
No. 202.15: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency
No. 202.14: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency
See full Order here: Order No. 202.14
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS): Coronavirus Tax Relief
- USA.gov: State Health Departments
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
Tompkins County Clerk:
We have received an administrative order in regards to civil cases – please see attached. Unless it is an essential proceeding, we will not be processing any civil filings. NYSCEF will not allow any non-essential e-filings also.
As for real estate, please send your closing packets in the mail or e-record – ONLY. We have had two court officers test positive and more are being tested. We will not be accepting any more closing packets at the front door.
The Governor also closed all DMVs until April 20th.
I am working a few hours a day in the office and can be reached there or by email.
If you want to start e-recording, we have heard that the companies are waiving the initial start up fee. Contact me and I can tell you what other firms have done.
Tompkins County Clerk
320 North Tioga Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
Free Public Access is available to our records using the links below:
https://countyfusion3.kofiletech.us/countyweb/login.do?countyname=Tompkins (login as guest)
https://lfweb.tompkins-co.org/WebLink/Browse.aspx?startid=1&dbid=12&cr=1 (click on County Clerk, then Public Weblink)
TOMPKINS COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTS VIRTUAL COURTROOM: Message from Josh Shapiro – 6th District OCA
As you may be aware NYC is moving to all remote court appearances starting tomorrow. I have been instructed to have our district prepared to go to all remote appearances as we expect an order that all court appearances will be “virtual” statewide by next week. I am specifically handling the criminal piece of this. I have created a skype channel/meeting that does not expire in every county that will serve as our “virtual courtroom.” Attorneys, judges, and litigants may enter and exit this skype channel the same way they would enter and exit a courtroom. To do so they will need either, skype for business on a windows 10 machine, or they may use the free skype for business web app on any windows 10 or 7 machine. In addition they may utilize the free “skype for business” app available to any IOS (iphone) or android phone or tablet.
Following is the Link to this “meeting” which serves as our virtual courtroom for CRIMINAL matters in TOMPKINS COUNTY. Please distribute this information to anyone with criminal practices.
The mandate for Virtual Courtrooms only is expected to go State-wide by next week.
LINK: Join Skype Meeting This is for TOMPKINS County Criminal Virtual Court Only.
Trouble Joining: Try Skype Web App
Help Link: Help
Empire State Development has issued the following guidance:
“Law firms and other providers of legal services are essential businesses only to the extent that their services are currently needed to support the essential functions of health care providers, utilities, state and local governments, the federal government, financial institutions, businesses that have been designated as essential; or to support criminal defendants in court proceedings or individuals in emergency family court proceedings; or to participate in proceedings concerning the imminent release or detention of individuals subject to criminal or civil detention under any applicable provision of state or federal law, or proceedings to address emergency risks to health, safety, or welfare.”
- If not known to the notary, the person seeking notary services must present a valid photo ID during the video conference.
- The video conference must allow for direct interaction.
- Pre-recorded videos of signatures are not permitted.
- People seeking notary services must affirmatively represent they are physically situated in the State of New York.
- The person seeking notary services must transmit by electronic means a legible copy of the signed document, which the notary may notarize and transmit back to the person.
- The notary may repeat the notarization of the original signed document as of the date of execution within thirty days.